This recipe came to me via a collection of handwritten recipes from the 1950s. It does seem like a simple enough recipe and it seems very appropriate for something cool to have for dessert during the hot summer months. So, before I lose this recipe and its companion recipe orange ice here it is.
Ingredients for lemon ice
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- ¾ cup lemon juice
Directions for lemon ice
- Boil water, and sugar 5 minutes
- Add lemon rind and juice
- Cool and strain to remove lemon rind
- Pour the mixture in a tray or pan and freeze
- Stir the mixture with a fork to break up the formation of ice and repeat every thirty minutes for the next three to four hours.
- 3 pints ice.
How to serve lemon ice
- Serve in chilled sherbet glasses serve as dessert.
- Or with poultry or game