When living in New York, no matter how stressful your day is, there’s always a way to enjoy the rest of the day after the sun has set. One of those things is making a creamy and delicious New York cheesecake to satisfy your sweet palette.
The New York cheesecakes usually have three layers – the graham cracker crumb crust, the inner and outer coating.
|Graham cracker crumbs||1 ½ cups||190 grams|
|Butter||5 tablespoons||5 tablespoons|
|Honey||1 tablespoon||1 tablespoon|
|Sugar||¼ cup||55 grams|
|Cream cheese||1, 8 ounces packages||680 grams|
|Flour||2 tablespoons||2 tablespoons|
|Confectioners’ sugar||1 tablespoon||1 tablespoon|
|Sour cream||¾ cup||180g|
|Vanilla||¾ tablespoon||¾ tablespoon|
|Orange liqueur||½ tablespoon||½ tablespoon|
|Lemon||1 grated rind|
|Eggs (room temperature)||5|
|Egg yolk (room temperature)||2|
|Sour cream||1 cup||240grams|
|Caster sugar||1 tablespoon||1 tablespoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 teaspoons||2 teaspoons|
|Dish/Pan||US measure||Metric measure|
|9 x 3 inches, Springform||12 cups||23 x 8 cm||2.8 liters|
Follow these steps to make your own classic New York-style cheesecake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 f (177 c)
- Put graham crumbs, sugar, butter and honey in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, spread and press the mixture into the base and side of a greased springform pan.
- Place the crust in a fridge for 20 minutes to chill while you make the filling.
- Put the cream cheese, flour, and sugar in an electric mixer bowl. Set the speed to medium and beat until smooth.
- Add vanilla, lemon rind, orange extract and beat until well combined.
- Add eggs. Beat until smooth.
- Add sour cream. Beat until well combined.
- Remove the crust from the refrigerator and pour the filling into the base.
- Place the pan on a large baking tray. Put it in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 325f (163 c) (do not open the oven).
- Continue baking bake until firm around the edges, but the center still displays motion when shaken gently. About 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Allow it to cool off while preparing the topping.
- Put sour cream, sugar, and lemon juice into a small bowl. Mix until combined.
- Spread evenly over the warm cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven. Put in a refrigerator and allow it to cool off for at least 3 hours.
Bring cheesecake to room temperature before cutting it into serving slices.
How best to serve the dish?
Leave in the refrigerator overnight and serve sliced with fresh fruits or chilled fruits syrups
How to store
Allow it to cool completely then cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
How long can it be stored?
You can safely store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.