How to harvest chives
- Harvest chives by cutting them just above the ground.
- For fresh chive tender chives, if the chives have been growing a long time, you might want to make crop first cutting and give them two weeks or so to allow the chives to grow back again fresh.
Clean the Chives
- Clean out the brown and dried pieces
- Wash thoroughly, but gently, and pat dry
Prep the Chives
- Even the up on a cutting board With your sharpest knife
- Mince them into 1/16″ to 1/8″ pieces
Freeze the Chives
- Put them loosely in a pint jar with a secure lid. Use of a wide mouth canning/freezing jar is recommended.
- Store them in the freezer.
Use the Chives
- When you are ready to use them, spoon out the desired amount without thawing them.
- Frozen chives are best used in cooking.