With blackberry showing up in the fields and in the grocery stores, here’s a quick and easy way to put a nice treat on the dinner table or just have a nice snack.
Blackberry Pie Bars Ingredients
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (385g/13.5 OZ)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided (300g/ 10.6OZ)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch slices (230g/8 OZ)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh blackberries (440g/16 OZ)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
Blackberry Pie Bars Cooking Directions
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, cinnamon salt and lemon zest.
- Add the butter, egg and vanilla extra. Pulsing until dough is crumbly. Pat half of dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, saving the remaining dough for the topping.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blackberries. Sprinkle the blackberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown (you are only looking for the top to slightly brown, if you cook for too long – the bottom will burn).
- Cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.
- 12 Blackberry Pie Bars