This an easy summertime recipe to use up some fresh blackberries and have a nice bit of cake for dessert. While I don’t normally bother with it, the cake can be cooled and frosted, if that you like frosting.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 ¼ cup blackberries divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 2 – 12 oz ramekins or au gratin baking dishes
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 small spatula
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Check your berries and dispose of any questionable or spoiled berries
- Wash blackberries and lightly pat dry or let air dry a few minutes
- Grease two, 12-ounce ramekins with butter.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, and baking powder) in a medium mixing bowl and mix until evenly distributed.
- In small mixing combine vanilla, milk, egg, and butter and whisk until thoroughly mixed
- Slowly, stir in the liquid mix into a medium bowl of dry ingredient mix, until evenly incorporated.
- Cover bottom of ramekins with a small quantity of cake mix
- Divide the blackberries evenly between the ramekins.
- Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins.
- Bake on the center shelf at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- This recipe makes two 12 oz ramekins/servings