Black and white brownie is a chocolate dessert that comes in various form such as cakey or fudgy depending on its density. They include cream cheese, nuts, chocolate chips, and other ingredients. You can spice it up using vanilla for a better delicacy.
Additionally, it is a common lunch box food among the Americans, and you can also find it in most of the popular coffeehouses and restaurants. They are typically served warm with ice cream, and most folks usually accompany it with milk.
Origins Of The Black And White Brownie
Black and white brownie originated from the United States of America at the end of 19th century, and its popularity grew in Canada during the first of 20 the century.
It is associated with being a creation of Bertha Palmer; the owner of Palmer house hotel and a prominent Chicago socialite. She requested for the cake that could be included in lunch boxes.
The fame of black and white brownie grew after she attended world’s Columbian Exposition.The earliest known recipe appeared in service club cookbook,home cookery Boston globe and the 1906 edition of farmer cookbook.
Black And White Brownie Flavors And Characteristics
Black and white brownie come in many flavors depending on what you want. They are characterized by being:
- Packed full of chocolate
- Infinitely customizable
You can flavor your brownies with:
- Salted caramel
- Peanut butter
What makes great brownie for home cooks to make?
Well, when it comes to brownies, its beauty lies in the fact that any recipe used results in a delicious brownie that is why it is suitable for most home cooks. Some prefer a cake like texture, while others prefer the fudgy and more dense texture.
Additionally, the ingredients are readily available, and you do not need professional skills to bake brownies. All you need to do is to understand the flavor that you want and follow the simple procedures given in recipe books .Eventually, you will have your yummy brownie!
Here is a quick recipe to get you started.
- Flour – 133 gr (4,6 oz)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Pinch of salt
- Vanilla sugar – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 150 gr ( 5 oz)
- Eggs – 3 pieces
- Milk chocolate -100 gr ( 3,5 oz ) + Butter – 83 gr ( 2,9 oz)
- White chocolate – 100 gr ( 3,5 oz ) + Butter – 83 gr ( 2,9 oz)
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave and mix until homogeneous. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Egg with sugar and vanilla sugar and salt mix with a mixer until smooth white lush mass.
- Add the well-sieved flour with baking powder and stir until smooth
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. In one piece put the milk chocolate, in the second part put the white chocolate.
- Prepare the mold, I used a shape 24 cm in diameter, covered with baking paper.
- In turn, put the dough first, the dark, then put the white, then again the dark, and so on to the end.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes at 180C/ 350F/4 gas mark
If you serve hot brownies, put a small scoop of ice cream on top. Bon Appetit
- 10-12 brownies