Recently while translating an old handwritten recipe, I ran across one of those recipes where the ingredient is simply listed as a green pepper. However, not all green or bell peppers are the same size so having some explanation of an equivalent may be useful. Additionally, if you ever need to make a substitution with another kind of pepper or you’d like your recipes to be a little more consistent having a measured equivalent is also useful.
So to make things easier, here is a quick list of bell pepper equivalents based on size, which I hope you find helpful.
Bell Pepper Equivalents
- 1 small bell pepper = 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 medium bell pepper = 3/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 large bell pepper = 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 pound (3 large, 4 medium, or 6 small) = 3 cups diced bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons diced fresh bell pepper = 1 tablespoon dried bell pepper flakes
- 1 large bell pepper = 1/2 cup dried bell pepper flakes
- 10-ounce package bell peppers = 2 1/4 cups diced bell pepper