The Spanish tortilla is the traditional style of Spanish omelet.
- 300 g (11 oz) Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 small onion (1/2 cup thin sliced)
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5 large or jumbo eggs
- Peel the potatoes, then slice thin.
- Peel the onion, then slice thin.
- Add two tablespoons of cooking oil to an oven-safe non-stick frying pan on medium-high, and then add the sliced onion and potatoes.
- Stir the onion and potato until coated with oil and the oil begins to sizzle.
- Then reduce the cooking temperature to medium-low and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or till the onions are translucent and light golden brown and the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Drain off the excess oil and set aside to allow the onions and potatoes cool enough to be mixed with the eggs.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, then whisk together.
- Add cooled onions and potatoes to whisked eggs and gently fold together.
- Add 2 tablespoons cooking oil and reheat the frying pan to medium-low heat, then pour the mix into the frying pan.
- Shake occasionally, to ensure the mixture does not stick to the frying pan.
- Preheat the oven broiler on high.
- Cook for around 12 to 15 minutes, or until the eggs are nearly fully cooked.
- Move the frying pan to the oven and broil about 2 minutes or until the top of the tortilla is just cooked.
- Remove from the oven and ensure the sides are free by passing the spatula around the age.
- Using protective mittens or potholders, cover the frying pan with a plate and carefully, turn the frying pan, shaking gently to free the tortilla.
- Let cool to just warm or to room temperature.
- Then, cut serving, garnish (if desired) and serve.