Home baking is a hobby during this time of the year, and many are looking for an easy but tasty recipe that they can do and share with their families. The traditional Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe is one of the latest recipes that are easy to bake. It is mostly topped with crunchy, sweet streusel, and you can enjoy it as tender and light or moist and gooey. Despite being called coffee cake, it usually doesn’t have any coffee, but you will surely enjoy this cake with a cup of coffee.
Approximate Prep Time
- 25 minutes
Approximate Cooking Time
- 50 minutes
Approximate Cooling Time
- 60 minutes
- mixing bowls
- Electric mixer or stand mixer
- one 9×13 inch pan
For the batter
- 3 cups or 375g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons or 7.3mL baking powder
- 1 teaspoon or 5mL kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups or 335g unsalted butter
- 1 cup or 200g granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup or 150g light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups or 335g sour cream
- 2 teaspoons or 10mL vanilla extract
For the topping and filling
- 2/3 cup or 85g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup or 200g light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon or 15mL ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons or 75mL unsalted butter, melted
For the glaze (optional)
- 1/2 cup or 100g powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon or 15mL unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon or 1.2mL vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons or 30mL milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the 9×13 inch pan and set it aside.
- Prepare the batter by whisking together the baking powder, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the sugars and butter in a large bowl of a stand mixer or an electric mixer. Beat it at medium speed until it is fluffy and light; the estimated time is about 5 minutes.
- Add in one egg and scrape down the bowl if necessary until the batter is thoroughly mixed.
- Add in the vanilla extract and sour cream. Mix until ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Add the flour to the mixture gradually and continue mixing on low speed.
- Prepare the topping and filling by combining the cinnamon, melted butter, flour, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. To achieve yummy crumbs, combine these until slightly clumpy. Set aside.
- Spread half of the batter evenly into the greased pan. Sprinkle half of the topping or filling mixture on top of the batter. Put in the remaining of the batter, spread evenly. Lastly, sprinkle the remaining half of the filling or topping mix on top.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. Allow the coffee cake to cool before glazing the coffee cake.
- (Optional) Prepare the glaze by whisking the melted butter, 1 tablespoon or 15mL milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. If the glaze is too thick, gradually add another 1/2 tablespoon or 7.5mL of milk until you achieve your preferred consistency. Drizzle the glaze on top of the cake.
- This recipe yield about 12-16 servings.
Plate and garnish
- The cinnamon coffee cake can be set out at room temperature, but it is highly recommended to warm in the coffee cake in the microwave first to give it a more yummy taste. Also, serve it with a nice cup of hot coffee.