Now that fall is here and the weather is gettong cool, its time to start baking in earnest and perhaps practice and perhaps added this recipe to your list of holiday favorites.
- 1 (12 ounces) (340.19g) sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon (14.79 ml) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon (4.92 ml) lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup (118.29 ml) whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon (2.46 ml) salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup miniature marshmallows (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon (0.61 ml) ground nutmeg
- 2 large or jumbo eggs, separated
- 4 teaspoons (19.71 ml) all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons (19.71 ml) sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C
- Grease two 2-cup souffle dishes, custard cups, or ramekins and sprinkle each with 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar; set aside.
- Place the sweet potato in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes, and drain well.
- Mash lemon juice, salt, and nutmeg into the sweet potatoes. You should have about 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a second saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and 3 teaspoons sugar until smooth.
- Gradually add whole milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and combine with mashed potato and milk mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks can be formed; gently fold the beat egg whites into potato mixture.
- (optional) Divide and spoon into prepared dishes; top with marshmallows.
- Bake the Sweet Potato Souffles, uncovered for 35-38 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot and immediately.
- This recipe makes two individual servings