The best meatloaf is an easy-to-make meatloaf! This recipe will help you make a classic American meatloaf with ground beef and a fantastically sweet topping.
- 10 minutes
- Approximately 55 minutes
- 1 lb. (0.5 kg) ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. dried parsley leaves
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (170 Celcius)
- Grab a large bowl. In it, place the beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, milk, 2 tablespoons of ketchup salt, garlic powder, parsley, and pepper. You will need to use your hands to mush the ingredients together. Keep on mixing until all the ingredients have been perfectly mixed.
- Take a loaf pan and place the mixture inside it. Make sure you pat it down to a perfectly even layer.
- Add a 1/4 cup ketchup, vinegar, and brown sugar inside a small bowl. Stir all the ingredients and pour the mix over the meatloaf.
- Insert the loaf pan in the oven. Leave to bake (uncovered) for about 55 minutes.
- Take out the meatloaf and let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe makes 8-10 servings
- If you don’t have a loaf pan handy, you can also use an aluminum baking sheet and follow the steps above.
- If your meatloaf is falling apart, it may be because:
- You didn’t mix the beef with the other ingredients for long enough
- You didn’t add enough bread crumbs
- You didn’t let it cool after taking it out of the oven
- You overcooked it. 50-55 minutes is all it takes to bake the meatloaf