Apple pie is a simple dish originating in England that’s become a staple of American cuisine. It’s one of those homey, down-to-earth foods we might have had out our grandma’s house growing up – combine its yummy taste and its “feel-good” qualities, and you have something extraordinary.
It makes a great starting dish for the novice baker that’ll have your guests coming back for more.
Let’s take a look at how to cook up some classic apple pie.
Basic Recipe Information
- 45 minutes
- 1 hour
- 1 Pie (6-8 slices depending on individual size)
- 4 pounds (64 ounces) of apples (the type of apple does matter here. Pick a crip-tasting apple such as Granny Smith or Gala. You can mix together various types, too).
- 2 unbaked pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of lemon juice
- 2/3 cup (85 grams) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4.2 grams) cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 4250F (2000C).
- Peel and core your apples. Slice them to about 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) thick.
- Coat apples in a bowl with lemon juice (the lemon juice will prevent your apples from browning before being cooked). Toss until well-mixed.
- In a separate mxing bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour and mix until well-combined.
- Now, take one of your pie crusts and place it in a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate, trimming off the edges as necessary. Place the pie crusts in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. While you’re waiting, take the second pie crust and create lattice strips if so desired. Otherwise, simply leave it whole as a topping for your coming pie.
- Take your apple and lemon juice mixture and combine it with brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour mixture in a single bowl.
- Pour your newly-combined mixture into the pie crust and smooth into an even layer.
- Place top from other pie crust on top of the one you just filled.
- Whisk egg and milk together to create egg wash – before placing in the oven, brush this equally over the top of your pie to ensure it has a shiny finish.
- Place pie in the oven at bake at 4250F (2000C) for 10 minutes. Then, adjust to 3000F (1490C) and bake for 40-50 minutes, making sure to check in on the pie from time to time. Rotate as needed, and carefully place foil over edges if they seem to be darkening too quickly.
- When the crust is golden brown, remove, let cool, and serve.
Plate And Garnish
- What if you want to dress up your pie a bit? Well, there’s just something about vanilla ice cream that works quite well with apple pie, so consider a scoop or two per slice.
- A tablespoon (15 ml) of ginger or half a tablespoon (7.5 ml) of honey also make good accompaniments to apple pie.
- For adults, a dab of bourbon or whiskey can make this classic dish a bit more “mature.”