Like the red velvet cake, red velvet cupcakes are an American 20th-century invention, which is still a favorite today.
Basic Recipe Information
- 20 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 35 minutes
- 16 cupcakes
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 oz red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter softened at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 F (170 C)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil until well combined.
- Beat in eggs until mixed thoroughly.
- Add in buttermilk, vanilla extract, food coloring, and mix until well thoroughly combined.
- Then mix in hot water and distilled vinegar.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, and bowl.
- Add the combined dry ingredients into the large mixing bowl and mix to combine all ingredients.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into each lined cup.
- Bake to 18-20 minutes or until the tops are spongey to the touch. (do not overcook)
- Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Place cupcakes on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar and beat until creamy.