Here is a great seasonal twist on how Latkes are usually served. Instead of potato making up most of the recipe, we’re using fresh zucchini and yellow squash. Here’s how you can make this zucchini squash latkes recipe at home very easily.
Basic recipe information
- 20 minutes
Approximate Cooking Time:
- 20 minutes
- 6 individual servings
- Potato peeler
- Cheese grater
- Wooden cutting board
- Chef knife (for chopping and cutting)
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Long mixing spoon
- Flat non-stick spatula
- Mixing bowls
- Frying skillet or baking tray
- 1 large baking potato (peeled and shredded) two cups (475ml)
- 1 large zucchini (peeled and shredded) This will produce 2 cups (475ml)
- 1 medium yellow squash (peeled and shredded) making 2 cups (475ml)
- 1 medium onion -chopped
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 4 egg whites producing cup (180ml)
- 3 tablespoon wholegrain Matzo meal (45ml)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (30ml)
- teaspoon baking powder (2.5ml)
- teaspoon salt (2.5ml)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (1.2ml)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (1.2ml)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or cooking spray (reserve for cooking- 60ml)
- Once you have all of your potato, zucchini, and squash grated, you will need to drain the excess liquid. Use cheesecloth to squeeze out the excess liquid from each of them. This will help them cook faster and bind with the other ingredients easier. Add all of these into a large bowl together. At this point, you can add the eggs and egg whites into the bowl. After measuring all of the dry ingredients in a separate little bowl, add these to your large bowl.
- Mix all of the contents together until the mixture is ready to cook. Now from here, you can either use a skillet or baking tray for cooking the latkes. In a heated skillet on medium-high, you add one tablespoon of olive oil. Scoop a generous amount into the skillet and add another scoop after that. If your skillet is large enough, keep adding more. The next step is to smash down the mixture to make it flat. As flat as there’s room, but not flatter than an inch thick.
- Cook each side until golden brown flipping it with the spatula. There should be enough in this recipe to make 2 dozen latkes. If you decide to bake in the oven, you’ll want to use baking spray. Lay down your scoops and flatten them. Add them into a heated oven at 450 Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes and flip after that, allowing another 8 minutes. After flipping over to the second side, spray the opposite side with cooking spray as well.
How To Serve:
These can be served as snacks, appetizers, or as a brunch dish. There’s no wrong way to enjoy this colorful and tasty zucchini squash latkes recipe this season. They are best served warm on little plates. As an option, you can add your favorite flavored sauce, such as remoulade or hollandaise sauce.