The good thing about this delicious salad is that you can easily make your own version of it from scratch using only fresh vegetables. My version consists of raw tomatoes, zucchini, and fresh mini cucumbers from my vegetable, which around our home makes this a spring and summer salad mostly. This recipe is a no-cook salad and does not involve any lettuce, kayle, or other greens. Simply wash, chop, mix, and season are hard to beat. Obviously, this salad is served cold, making it a nice recipe side dish for a warm summer afternoon or even meal.
Basic Recipe Information
Approximate Prep Time
- 10 minutes
Approximate Cooking time
- No cooking required
- Three, 1 cup servings
- A medium mixing bowl
- A sharp knife
- A mixing spoon or spatula
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes or 1 large tomato
- 1 cup unpeeled zucchini (about one medium zucchini)
- ½ cup unpeeled Persian mini-cucumbers (about six cucumbers)
- 2 ounces of your favorite cheese (optional)
- Choose and thoroughly wash all tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers
- Gently, pat dry the vegetables
- Dress the tomato by trimming off the top and bottom, cut into quarters lengthwise, de-seed each quarter, and chop into ¼ inch pieces. Then, add the dressed tomato to the mixing bowl.
- Dress the zucchini by trimming off both ends, cut into quarters lengthwise, and chop into ¼ inch pieces. Then, add the dressed zucchini to the mixing bowl.
- Dress the mini-cucumbers by trimming off both ends, cut into quarters lengthwise, and chop into ¼ inch pieces. Then, add the dressed cucumbers to the mixing bowl.
- Chop cheese onto ¼ inch cubes and add to the mixing bowl.
- Using a mixing spoon or spatula, gently toss so the salad until the ingredients are equally distributed.
How to serve/plate and garnish
- Serve this salad chilled or at room temperature.
- We usually serve family-style and let each person choose and season their own helping.
- If desired, add your favorite dressing.
- We usually use Roma tomatoes for their firmness
- While most any cheese will do, we usually use raw sharp, or extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- As for salad dressing, we don’t usually bother. We just a dash or two of salt and pepper or salt-free dash seasoning. However, if we use salad dressing Ranch or an olive oil vinaigrette, both work very nicely.
- While we do not peel the zucchini and cucumber, you may choose to do so.