It is finally Autumn; the weather is starting to get colder, and the holidays are quickly approaching. It is the perfect time of year to start doing some baking! Here is how to make super easy chocolate chip scones that are great for beginning home cooks! Classic chocolate chip cookies are okay, but how about switching it up with some chocolate chip scones?
Basic Recipe Information
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
The items you will need to make this recipe include:
- Baking trays
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- A whisk
- Measuring cups
- A liquid measuring cup
- A knife
- A cooling rack
- 2 cups or 250 grams all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup or 183 grams whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup or 113.5 grams cold butter butter
- 3/4 cup or 135 grams mini chocolate chips
- You want to start by heating your oven to 375 F degrees and placing your parchment paper onto your baking tray.
- In a bowl, whisk your flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add your milk and eggs to your liquid measuring cup and whisk until well combined.
- Take your butter out of the fridge, cut it into small pieces, and add them to your flour mixture. Quickly use your hands to combine the butter into the flour. Try not to break the butter up too much, and don’t over incorporate it because you want there to be small pieces of butter in your dough so your scones will be nice and flaky.
- Next, add your wet ingredients to your flour mixture and mix until everything is combined. Don’t over mix, or your scones will be too hard and dense.
- Put the dough you just made onto a floured counter and gradually fold your mini chocolate chips into the dough. Again don’t work the dough too much; you are just folding it, not kneading like you would when making bread.
- Make your dough into a rectangle, and then use your knife to cut it into ten triangles. Put your scones on your baking tray and bake for 18 minutes until they start to get golden brown. When fully baked, allow them to cool for a couple of minutes, and then put them on a cooling rack.
- Servings: 10 scones
- Calories: 310 calories per serving
How To Serve
Once your scones have completely cooled, you can make a glaze to drizzle on top to take them to the next level! Here is what to do:
- Add 3/4 cup or 90 grams of powdered sugar into a bowl, then gradually add whole milk while mixing until you’ve reached your desired consistency. It should be the right consistency to where it is thin enough to drizzle on your scones but not too thin that it just slides off of them.
- Next, you can add your glaze to a piping bag or simply use a spoon and drizzle it over your completely cooled scones.
- Then for plating, you just place them on a small plate and serve with a beverage of your choice. Milk, tea, or coffee are all great options.