How To Make a Delicious, Homemade Honey Pumpkin Pie
Next to colorful leaves, Thanksgiving, and apple cider, nothing makes you think “Fall” quite like pumpkin pie. Add a bit of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, and you and your guests will be in heaven.
For this recipe, we’ll be looking at a slight alternative to the classic dessert. This recipe uses honey instead of refined sugar. As nature’s sweetener, honey is healthier than refined sugars. It also works very well with pumpkin, helping to emphasize that all-natural, earthy flavor.
Basic Recipe Information
- About 15 minutes (If making your own pie crust, add 4-5 hours)
- About 1 Hour
- A single 9-inch pie will give you 7 or 8 slices – perfect for family gatherings
- 1 9-inch pie dish
- Large bowl for mixing ingredients
If making your own crust, you’ll need a:
- Rolling pin
- Food processor (optional, if making your own crust)
Ingredients (U.S. and Metric Measures)
- 3 Eggs (large or jumbo)
- 1 pie crust (can be store-bought, or you can make your own)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) honey
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.6 grams) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.6 grams) ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon (2.37 grams) cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) 2 % milk
- 3/4 cup (187.5 grams) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract (optional)
Ingredients For Piecrust (Skip if Using Store-bought)
- 2 cups (400 grams) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.19 grams) salt
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) ice-cold water
- 2 eggs
Making Your Own Pie crust
- If you decide to make your own pie crust, you’ll first want to freeze your butter and grate it using a cheese grater.
- Pour this into your bowl first, and then mix in flour and salt. Add eggs. Pour in your cold water and mix using your spatula.
- Once well mixed and moist, remove dough. Flatten it into a disk shape with a rolling pin.
- After that, wrap it with plastic, refrigerate it for at least four hours, and place it on a pie plate. You may need to do a bit of trimming.
- Making a pie crust is that easy! If you have one available, it’s also possible to use a food processor for mixing.
- Preheat the oven to 3750F (190.60C).
- While waiting in the oven, beat eggs in a bowl for about 2 minutes, until fluffy.
- Pour your honey, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin puree, heavy cream, and salt into the bowl and mix with eggs. If you’ve opted for vanilla extra, put this in too!
- Pour this delicious mixture into your pie crust
- Place the pie on the lowest rack of the oven and cook for about 35 minutes
- Carefully remove after 35 minutes and cover edges of pie with foil – this will help prevent over-browning
- Place pie back in the oven on a middle rack and cook at the same temperature for 20 – 25 minutes
- To ensure cooking is done, stick a knife in the center. If it comes out clean, you’re done! If not, cook a 3-5 minute intervals until your pie passes the knife test.
- Allow 30 minutes to an hour for the pie to cool before serving
How to Serve
- Pumpkin pie is great on its own, but as a side dish, pumpkin pie is exceptionally heartwarming. We already recommended a bit of whipped cream on top of each slice or some vanilla ice cream on the side, and you can’t go wrong with these.
- Other ideas include caramel glaze or a nut topping such as pecan or peanut. Even a drizzle of chocolate sauce (perhaps combined with ice cream?) works great.