Whole fresh strawberries top this coffee cake to give color and sweet-tart flavor. Serve this cake warm from the oven, accompanied by hot coffee.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup hulled fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons soft butter or margarine
- Sift flour again with baking powder, sugar, and salt into a bowl.
- Cut in shortening until the size of peas.
- Combine egg with milk, and add to flour mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pat dough into the bottom of a 10 by 6-inch greased baking dish.
- Top with strawberries.
- Blend topping ingredients to fine crumb stage
- Sprinkle topping over strawberries and dough.
- Bake in a moderately hot (375 degrees) oven for 35 minutes.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.