A Ham And Potato Casserole is a traditional Irish dish. Ham And Potato Casserole has many variations, so you can use your favorite ingredients. It’s also an excellent option if you’re cooking for a crowd. This recipe can be prepared ahead of time, making it a convenient choice for entertaining guests.
Origin of Ham And Potato Casserole
A classic American dish, ham and potato casserole is comfort food that combines the rich flavor of ham and potatoes with the creamy goodness of cheese sauce. The dish is served hot and is often topped with melted cheese. Its origins can be traced back to New England, where it was first made. A ham and potato casserole is a favorite dish when the cold weather begins to set in.
Description of Ham And Potato Casserole
Make your ham and potato casserole in advance so it can be baked when it is needed. The dish is best served warm, so choose uniform-sized potatoes and bake them until tender. Cover the casserole for most of the baking time, removing it from the oven only when adding the cheese and letting it melt. After cooking, the casserole is ready to serve. If you have any leftovers, you can store it in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
This dish is reminiscent of potato au gratin, it is layered with potatoes and ham. A cheesy sauce. The saltiness of the ham is cubed will add additional flavor. If you’d prefer not to use ham, you can substitute cubed chicken for the ham; perhaps with a dash of hot sauce to add character. A simple recipe for this hearty casserole will leave you full and satisfied. But it is equally delicious with or without ham.
A Ham And Potato Casserole can be made ahead
A cheesy ham and potato casserole is a delicious meal you can make ahead of time and keep refrigerated or frozen and thawed in the refrigerator before reheating.
Basic Recipe Information
- 20 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 1 hour
- 25 ounces of potatoes
- 8 ounces of ham
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium onion
- 1 celery stalk
- A bunch of parsley
- 1 green onion
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 3 ounces of butter
- 1/8 cup flour
- 2 cups milk warmed
- ground pepper
- Peel the potatoes, cut into cubes and boil them in salted water for 10 minutes
- Chop the onion, the parsley, the green onion, and the celery stalk
- Chop the ham into cubes
- Cook the white onion in butter for 5 minutes on low heat, then add the flour and cook for another 2 minutes
- After this time, add the warm milk gradually, season with salt and pepper, and cook the sauce for 10 minutes on low heat
- In the end, take the pot off the heat and add the grated mozzarella cheese
- Mix all the prepared ingredients together with the onion sauce and place them in the prepared baking dish and add the grated cheddar on top
- Put in the oven for 40 minutes at 350 ° F
- Makes 4 servings