How To Make A Classic French Onion Soup recipe is often at the top of many people’s list of foods they love to eat. Why? It’s simple; it’s a classic. Classic French Onion Soup that has stood the test of time. The favorite old-fashioned French onion soup recipe is one that is full of rich caramelized onion flavors and is usually made with ham or bacon.
You can recreate this popular recipe with a few simple ingredients, making it a healthy recipe too. For starters, there is no ham or bacon in this recipe. In fact, only onions and ham fat are needed to give this wonderful recipe its classic flavor. The amount of ham you need depends on your preferences.
This delicious recipe is made by simply chopping up fresh bell pepper, green onions, white onions, and Vidalia onions. If possible, trim the ends off of the fat and slice the vegetables in half before putting them in the pot. Keep in mind when cooking this soup that you must use a ham hock or other type of hard meat for this recipe to come out well.
Cook the chopped vegetables until tender, and then add a medium mixture of water and chopped garlic or onions. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Then remove the lid and simmer another five minutes.
If you would like to jazz up this soup, you can add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the boiling water to thicken the soup. Alternatively, you could add chopped fresh herbs such as fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley, and basil to the pot. Any combination of these herbs will add flavor and aroma to the dish. When adding chopped vegetables to the mixture, it is important to remember to only add enough of them so that they do not become overcrowded and result in a messy-looking dish.
It is best to use good-quality sherry vinegar with the French onion soup recipe. The quality of the vinegar is directly related to the quality of the ingredients that have been used to flavor it. If you are looking to buy a remade version of this soup, it is best to buy a product with a high rating for both taste and value. There are many brands available on the market today. Many brands will offer soup lovers the opportunity to try some of their recipes at a discount price if they buy in bulk. So, consider asking your favorite grocer for a discount to get even more discounts on the products you purchase in bulk.
French onion soup is best served in bowls instead of the traditional pot. This is because bowling gives the soup a better appearance when it is served in them. To serve the soup best, it is best served immediately after it is prepared. You can also allow the soup to cool down and refrigerate it for an hour or two before serving it to guests.
How To Make A Classic French Onion Soup – A Few Tips On How To Make A Soup That Your Guests Will Love! If you want to learn how to make French onion soup, you need to know where to buy it from, how to season it correctly, and finally, how to make the classic mixture of butter, onions, and cream. You do not have to go and search high and low to find ingredients, as you can always purchase them in bulk and be able to enjoy the comfort that you receive from a warm bowl of soup. All that you need to know regarding how to make French onion soup is contained in this article.
Tips For Making French Onion Soup
Making a delicious French Onion Soup is all about taking the time to caramelize the onions properly and balancing the flavors. Here are some tips to help you make the best French Onion Soup:
- Choose the Right Onions: Yellow onions are commonly used for French Onion Soup. They have a good balance of sweet and savory flavors when caramelized. You can also use a mix of yellow and red onions for added depth of flavor.
- Thinly Slice the Onions: The onions should be thinly and evenly sliced. A mandoline slicer can help achieve uniform slices.
- Caramelization: Take your time to caramelize the onions. This step can take up to an hour but is crucial for developing the soup’s rich flavor. Use low to medium heat, stir occasionally, and be patient. The onions should turn a deep golden brown without burning.
- Use Homemade Broth: If possible, use homemade beef broth for the best flavor. If you’re short on time, you can use high-quality store-bought beef broth or a combination of store-bought and homemade.
- Add Wine (Optional): White wine can add a nice depth of flavor to the soup. If you choose to use it, allow it to reduce before adding the broth.
- Season Well: Don’t forget to season the soup with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust as needed. Keep in mind that the cheese topping will also add some saltiness.
- Choose the Right Cheese: Gruyère or Swiss cheese are traditional choices for French Onion Soup. They melt well and have a nutty flavor that complements the soup. You can also use a combination of these cheeses for added complexity.
- Broil Carefully: When broiling the soup with the cheese-topped bread, keep a close eye on it. The broiling process can be quick, and you want the cheese to melt and become bubbly and golden brown, not burnt.
- Serve Hot: French Onion Soup is best enjoyed piping hot, straight from the oven. Be cautious when handling the hot crocks or bowls.
- Customize Your Toppings: While the traditional recipe uses a toasted baguette slice and melted cheese, you can get creative with your toppings. Try adding fresh herbs like thyme or chives for a burst of freshness, or experiment with different cheeses for unique flavor profiles.
- Make Ahead: You can prepare the caramelized onions and even the soup base ahead of time and assemble and broil the soup just before serving. This can be convenient for entertaining.
- Use Oven-Safe Bowls: Ensure that the bowls or crocks you use for serving the soup are oven-safe. This is important when broiling the cheese-topped soup.
French Onion Soup is a comforting classic, and by following these tips, you can make a restaurant-quality version at home.
Easy French Onion Soup Recipe
French Onion Soup is a classic and comforting dish known for its rich, savory broth and caramelized onions topped with melted cheese. Here’s an easy recipe you can try at home:
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 cups beef broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 slices of French baguette
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Caramelize the Onions:
- Melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until they become soft and deeply caramelized. Be patient; this is where a lot of the flavor comes from.
- Sprinkle sugar over the onions and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn a deep, golden brown color.
- Add Garlic and Deglaze:
- Add minced garlic to the caramelized onions and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- If using white wine, pour it into the pot and stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Allow the wine to cook for a few minutes until it has reduced slightly.
- Simmer with Broth:
- Pour in the beef broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for about 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Prepare the Bread and Cheese:
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Toast slices of French baguette until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Assemble and Broil:
- Ladle the hot soup into oven-safe bowls or crocks.
- Float a toasted baguette slice on top of each bowl of soup.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese over the bread, making sure it covers the entire surface.
- Broil the Soup:
- Place the bowls on a baking sheet and place them under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Carefully remove the bowls from the oven (they will be hot!), and serve your French Onion Soup immediately, piping hot.
This recipe serves 4-6 people and is a delicious way to enjoy a classic French dish at home. Enjoy your homemade French Onion Soup!