A Blueberry and Cream Cheese French Toast casserole is a great way to start the morning. This breakfast dish is filled with cream cheese, eggs, and blueberries and topped with a sweet blueberry sauce. You can serve this breakfast on its own or be paired with various breakfast meats or fruit. The dish can be prepared in advance and refrigerated overnight, making it perfect for a Sunday brunch. Adding a touch of cream or whipped cream when served for a holiday brunch will make the casserole even more decadent.
- 8 medium eggs
- 8 cups loaf of French bread
- 3 cups half and half
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Cut the French bread into 2-inch cubes
- In a large bowl add the eggs and whisk it. Add the sugar, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract, maple syrup, half and half and whisk it again.
- Grease with butter a 9×13 casserole dish
- Put half of bread cubes, top with half cream cheese and half blueberries. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients.
- Pour eggs mixture over bread cubes and pressing down with a spoon.
- Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours
- Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle with the raw sugar
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees F
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven, remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes
- In a medium saucepan, add the sugar, water, cornstarch, and fresh blueberries and simmer for 10 minutes
- Cool it completely
- Serve French toast casserole with blueberry sauce
- Makes 8 servings