Candied yams are something special. For me, at least, nothing – besides turkey, of course – quite screams “Thanksgiving” like candied yams. Of course, they make a delicious treat all year round and complement a variety of dishes. Best of all, they’re straightforward to make, and we’ll show you how to do that below.
Why Cook Candied Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
Candied yams or sweet potatoes are a popular and delicious dish that can be enjoyed as a side dish or as a dessert. There are several reasons why you might want to cook candied yams:
- Flavorful: Candied yams are known for their sweet and savory flavor, which comes from the combination of brown sugar, butter, and spices. This dish is perfect for those who enjoy sweet and savory flavors in their food.
- Nutritious: Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are high in vitamin A, which is important for maintaining healthy eyesight, and they are also a good source of vitamin C and potassium.
- Easy to make: Candied yams are easy to prepare and require only a few ingredients. You can make them on the stovetop or in the oven, and they can be ready in under an hour.
- Versatile: Candied yams can be served as a side dish or as a dessert. They pair well with roasted meats like ham or turkey, and they can also be enjoyed on their own as a sweet treat.
- Perfect for special occasions: Candied yams are a popular dish during the holidays, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are a great way to add a touch of sweetness to your holiday meal and are sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
In summary, candied yams or sweet potatoes are a delicious and nutritious dish that is easy to make and versatile. They are perfect for special occasions or as a sweet treat, and they are sure to be enjoyed by all. So why not try making this delicious dish and enjoy the sweet and savory flavors of candied yams?
Basic Recipe Information
Approximate Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- 1 hour
- 9 x 13-inch (~ 23 x 33 cm) baking dish
- Large pot for boiling the sweet potatoes
- Skillet for melting butter and mixing
- 5 large sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (115 grams; 1 stick) butter
- 3/4 teaspoon (3.7 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.2 ml) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of vanilla extract
- First, preheat your oven to 3500F (1770C)
- Wash the sweet potatoes
- Peel and cut them up into small to medium-sized chunks
- Boil the chunks in a large pot for 5-10 minutes so that they soften. To test, make sure you can gently pierce the potatoes with a fork
- Once they are soft enough, place yams in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish
- Now, melt your butter in a skillet or pot over medium-to-high heat
- Place cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and sugar pot/skillet with the butter – stir until well-mixed
- Next, add in vanilla extract and stir
- Pour your new candied mixture over your sweet potatoes, covering them lightly without “drowning” them.
- Place tin foil over the baking dish and bake for one hour. however, you must stop and stir every 20 minutes, so set a timer. Don’t forget to do this, or they won’t come out right!
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving
That’s it! You should now have 10-12 servings of delicious candied yams on your hands.
If you want to spice the candied yams a bit, try adding some rosemary or sea salt. Chopped pistachios or walnuts work well, too.
Comments are closed.