An easy casserole recipe with ground beef, cheese, and potatoes – think meaty potatoes au gratin or cheesy scalloped potatoes with hamburger.
A hamburger (ground Beef) potato casserole can indeed be an excellent and budget-friendly family meal for several reasons:
- Cost-effective ingredients: The key components of a hamburger potato casserole, namely ground beef and potatoes, are generally affordable and readily available. These ingredients are often considered staples in many households, making them cost-effective options for a family meal.
- Versatility: A hamburger potato casserole offers versatility in terms of ingredient variations. You can customize it based on your family’s preferences and the ingredients you have on hand. You can add vegetables like onions, carrots, or peas to enhance their nutritional value without breaking the bank.
- Satisfying and filling: The combination of ground beef and potatoes creates a hearty and filling meal. Potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrates, while ground beef provides protein. This combination can help keep your family satisfied and energized.
- Leftover potential: Hamburger potato casseroles often yield generous portions, making them suitable for leftovers. You can enjoy the casserole for multiple meals, reducing the need for additional cooking or ordering takeout, thus saving money in the long run.
- Easy to prepare: Casseroles, in general, are known for their simplicity and convenience. A hamburger potato casserole typically involves basic cooking techniques such as browning ground beef and slicing potatoes. The ingredients are layered and baked, requiring minimal active preparation time, which is ideal for busy families.
- Freezer-friendly: If you have extra portions or want to prepare ahead, hamburger potato casseroles can be frozen for future use. You can divide the casserole into individual portions and store them in freezer-safe containers. This makes it a convenient option for meal prepping and helps minimize food waste.
Considering these factors, a hamburger potato casserole can be a delicious, satisfying, and affordable choice for a family meal.
Basic Recipe Information
- 235 calories per serve
- 15 minutes
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1-pound lean ground beef
- 3 cups peeled and thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 (10.75 ounces) can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup milk
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175C)/ 325 degrees F (160C).
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef; drain fat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, onion, milk, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Alternately layer the potatoes, soup mixture, and meat in an 11×7 inch (2 quart) baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Top with Cheddar cheese and continue baking until cheese is melted.