In this age of complicated recipes with long lists of ingredients, a simple wedge salad is a quick and easy way to put a salad on the table. Actually, all you really need is an iceberg lettuce head, some flavorful salad dressing, some topping or garnish, and you have the makings of a wedge salad.
While iceberg lettuce may not be the most glamorous garden greens, you can find in the market or that you may grow in the garden, it is nutritious, and it does last well in a refrigerator, if undamaged.
So, here is a basic recipe without all of the superfluous bits, which will quickly get this out on the table to round out your dinner.
- Salt and Pepper, to taste (optional)
- Ranch or Blue Cheese Ranch Salad Dressing
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled or commercial precooked bacon bits
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Rinse the exterior of the iceberg lettuce with cold water, then gently Pat dry
- Trim the base of the iceberg lettuce head
- Cut the iceberg lettuce into quarters.
- Rinse each quarter with cold water, gently separating the leaves to let the water rinse inside.
- After rinsing, let the iceberg lettuce drain on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- To finish drying the iceberg lettuce, pat the lettuce dry before using it.
- Arrange one wedge on each serving plate.
- Drizzle salad dressing over each iceberg lettuce wedge.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Sprinkle each iceberg lettuce wedge with Salt and Pepper (Optional).
- One Iceberg Lettuce head makes four servings.
- If you don’t want to use Salt and Pepper, you can also sprinkle some nice tasty fresh herbs on your iceberg wedge salad to give a little extra variety.