If you are looking for a good, cheesy vegetable dish, the Zucchini and cheddar casserole is a perfect option for you. Zucchinis are readily available in many farmers’ markets and local grocery stores. This easy-to-prepare zucchini and cheddar casserole recipe will help you prepare a quick creamy side dish or an indulgent, fall-themed main dish for weeknight dinners. Whatever the occasion, this recipe will become a standout dish that everyone will love.
Basic Recipe Information
Approximate Preparation Time:
- 20 minutes
Approximate Cook time:
- 1 hour
- 6 servings
- Baking dish
- Measuring Cup
- Mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- 3 large zucchinis (approx. 6 cups or 3 lbs) sliced into medallions
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 chopped onions (optional)
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter sliced into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (approx. 6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 large eggs slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoon chopped basil (more/less depending on your flavor preference)
- Basil, chives, or parsley for garnish
- Gather the ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/ 180 degrees C.
- Wash the Zucchini and slice into small 1/4 inch thick, medallions pieces.
- Wash the basil, dry with paper towels, and cut them into thin slices
- Spray nonstick spray or olive oil onto a8″ x 8″ or 8″ x 11″ baking dish
- Add the sliced Zu cchini to the baking dish. Sprinkle mix with salt, add some of the chopped onions and basil, and mix.
- Layer the Zucchini with a 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Pour mixed cream sauce over the Zucchini and spread it evenly.
- Scatter the remaining butter pieces and chopped onions over the Zucchini and sauce.
- Bake uncovered on the center rack of your oven at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. It should be bubbly, and the edges should be nicely browned
- Sprinkle with chopped basil, chives, or parsley for garnish
- Let your creamy casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving
- The leftover casserole can be refrigerated for up to 3 days
- You can use yellow squash instead of Zucchini.
- You can add crumbled cooked bacon or shredded chicken breasts
- If you are a lover of garlic flavor, you can add a teaspoonful of finely chopped garlic
- You can add black pepper for a richer flavor
Cook’s Note: Zucchini have thin and tender skin; hence there is no need for peeling them.
How to Serve/Plate and Garnish
You can garnish your cheesy zucchini casserole with different herbs such as chopped basil, chives, or parsley. For a creamier dish, add some melting cheese such as mozzarella as a topping. This classic side dish can go well with most meals to make a hearty family dinner or serve as a light main dish.
When prepared as a side dish, you can serve your casserole with:
- Roast chicken
- Pork chops