This yeast less quick bread is tasty and ready in under an hour. The bread is more like a sandwich bread than a traditional quick bread.
Basic Recipe Information
- 20 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 1 hour
- 12 slices
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons oats (old fashioned or quick) divided
- 1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 scant cup plain yogurt (not Greek yogurt)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Generously grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon oats in the pan. Tip the pan back and forth to coat the sides and bottom with oats.
- In a large bowl, stir together white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, use a fork to beat 1 cup oats, yogurt, egg, oil, and 1/4 cup honey until well blended. Stir in milk. Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until thoroughly incorporated but not overmixed (excess mixing can cause toughening). Pour the batter into the pan, spreading evenly to the edges.
- Bake the loaf in the center of the oven until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 45 minutes (beginning checking at 30 minutes). Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack. While the bread is still warm, gently brush the top of the loaf with 1 tablespoon of honey. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon oats. Allow to cool slightly. Serve warm.